Hopefully you will enjoy my blog about hunting, fishing, the outdoors, and my artsy-fartsi-ness.
Thanks for visiting.

Sunday, May 17, 2015

Introduction to hiking, with a two year old.






Today I introduced my two and a half year old nephew to hiking.  His first ever hike in the woods.  It was a great day.

His name is Lyric, he is the oldest child of my youngest sister.  He is a busy boy who loves to go go go....... so I thought he would be perfect to get out in the woods and experience something new.  Prior to going, his mom put sun lotion and bug spray on him.  I instructed her to have him wear cool loose fitting jogging style pants, a t-shirt, and to bring a long sleeved shirt, light snack and water.  (and a diaper just in case!!)  Lyric was very excited to go, when I got to his house he was all laced up and his bag was packed.  We got in the car and off we went.  We decided to hike the Dauner Nature trails in Fenton Michigan.

This is as soon as we started our hike.  The introduction of Lyric!  He wanted to wear his uncle Andys Camo hat that I tried to make as small as possible but it pushed his little ears down.  Still cute.
And here he is, walking the trail, stopping to pick up rocks and sticks.  Made me so happy to see him exploring.
He was so excited to come across this tree deep in the woods that is so huge!  He kept walking up to it and hugging on it.  He would turn around and say "it big".

We found a couple snakes.  He seemed very interested in them.......From a distance.  He felt like they were big.  Harmless Garters.
He was so happy to find logs fallen over and climb on top of them.  I got so much enjoyment out of seeing him happy in the woods.  We sat on this log and ate a snack and drank some ice water.





I taught Lyric how to use a walking stick, and he loved that!He made a little noise everytime he stuck the stick to the ground!



Lyric and his walking stick.



This is us at the end.  As soon as we got to the car I said to him "we made it Lyric".  And thats what he said in the car the whole way home.  "we made it", "we made it".   And sure enough as soon as we walked in his house, his dad said Hey buddy did you have fun", and lyric said "WE MADE IT" ......yes we did kiddo!

My whole point of this blog entry is to show the importance of getting children into nature at a young age.  Its so healthy for them to start doing, and will leave lasting memories forever.

Beçk¥

No comments:

Post a Comment