Hopefully you will enjoy my blog about hunting, fishing, the outdoors, and my artsy-fartsi-ness.
Thanks for visiting.

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Book Shelf, Storage Shelf

Costs of this project.  The unit itself was picked from the trash and that equals free.  The clark and Kensington paint usually runs $6.00 for the sample cans but in March they were all .99 cents. (I used half the sample can), the stain was $.6.00, and the annie sloan soft wax was given to me so I have no idea how much that would typically cost, but I know annie sloan is expensive and I am a cheap wad, so if I didn't have it on hand I just would not have used it.  
This was a book shelf-storage shelf that I picked out of someones trash and brought it home.  It's been sitting in my barn for a few years waiting for me to do something with it.  It is solid wood, and part of it has a very old dark green paint on it.  Very ugly!

I started by cleaning it up really good, and I stained the wood with a stain color called drift wood.  I added a coat of Clark and Kensington satin enamel called Velvet Curtains.  

This was after the 2nd coat of Velvet Curtains paint.  I decided that I wanted to stain to be darker so I stained over it with a stain color called Kona. I like it darker much better. I used old brushed nickel cupboard handles that I had in a jar in the barn from a previous house we owned.

This is the finished product.  I went over the entire thing, including the Velvet Curtains color paint with a dark soft wax by annie Sloan.  The wax helped to tone down the brightness of the daylight paint.

It now sits in my hunting prep room and holds some of our camo gear and other hunting supplies.  It matched my gun case also.  


Supplies:
                * The project object
                * Clark and Kensington sample can of Velvet curtains color
                * Rust-oleum  wood stain in Kona color
                * Annie Sloan Soft Wax for painted furniture and walls (in dark)
 
            

No comments:

Post a Comment