Hopefully you will enjoy my blog about hunting, fishing, the outdoors, and my artsy-fartsi-ness.
Thanks for visiting.

Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Chicken Wire Duck Nester

Today I have made 2 duck nesting homes out of chicken wire and hay.
Finished product.  Step by step and supplies are listed below.


The supplies I used for this project are chicken wire, rope, small zip ties, a pair of scissors, and hay.


To begin I used chicken wire that is 24 inches long, and cut a length of approx. 40 inches.  I created a circle with it, over lapped the ends about two inches and zip tied it secure in multiple sections.  You could twist the ends of the chicken wire to secure your circle if you dont want to use zip ties. When you are done with this step you will want the zip tied end at the bottom so birds do not get poked.

Once you move to this step you will pinch the lower part of the circle together (about 2 inches up), and zip tie that together tightly.  This will create a cradle effect for the bedding to stay in the house.

Here you can see how I have the bottom section pinched closed and secured.  You will do this to both ends.

You can see this is the bare bones of the house.

Now you can stuff the cradle area with hay.  Pack it in nicely so when the birds walk inside they will feel secure and they wont be in danger of stepping through to the chicken wire.
For a photo of what the nest would look like I added a few small balls in there.


This is one of the nests secured in a tree.  I put both of these nests in the crotch branches of a tree that are leaning over the water of my pond.  
Here is the other that I have secured in the branches over water.  I used rope to tie it to a few different places on branches to keep it level and safe.





These are the houses finished.  After I got them tied up good, I took a bit more hay and added it on top.  Now the ducks have a safe place to nest.  I sure hope the wood ducks that have been frequenting my pond will take up occupancy in these.  I also built a couple wooden duck houses a few years ago but the only thing that lives in those is dang squirrels.

                                                                Beçk¥

No comments:

Post a Comment